“BLIND LITERATURE” PACKETS
136. Exemption from Postal Fees.
– (1) Blind literature packets are exempted from payment of the following fees besides being exempt from the payment of postage.
(i) registration fee.
(ii) fee for acknowledgement
(iii) fee for the attested copy of the receipt.
(2) Postage free blind literature packets will be transmitted by surface route only, any if they are to be sent by air, the airmail charge as prescribed for packets has to be paid.
137. Contents and conditions of Posting.
– Papers of any kind, periodicals, books and letters to or from blind persons impressed in “Braille” or other special type for the use of the blind, may be transmitted by post as “blind literature” packets provided that they are posted in accordance with the following conditions :-
(a) The Packets shall consist only of articles specially impressed as described above for the use of the blind, and shall not contain any communication either in writing or printed in ordinary type, except the title and table of contents of the book or periodical and any key to, or instructions for, the use of special type, or any enclosure except a label for the return of the packet.
(b) The Packet shall bear on the outside the inscription “Literature for the Blind”, and the written or printed name and address of the sender.
(c) The Packet shall be posted either without a cover, or in a cover open at both ends, which can easily be removed for the purpose of examination.
(d) No blind literature packet may weight more than 7 kilograms.
(e) Blind literature packets are subject to the same limits of dimensions as book packets (See Clause 124).
The exception below clause 124 applies mutatis mutandis to blind literature packets.
EXPLANATION : Plates bearing the characters of writing, sound records for the use of the blind, and discs, films, tapes and wires on which spoken messages for the blind have been recorded when sent by, or addressed to, an officially recognized institution for the blind shall be treated as ‘Blind Literature’.
138. Penalty for Breach of Conditions.
– Should any of the conditions mentioned above be infringed. The packet (unless it is admissible as an ordinary packet) will be charged on delivery with letter or parcel postage, whichever may be less.*
* Provided the lower rate admissible (See clause 145)
To view the above-mentioned rules on the India Post website,
Concessional Telephone Connection to the Blind:
Telephone facility to blind persons on concessional & priority basis on the following terms is provided. The following rates apply:
- Rental rebate- 50% of the normal rental
- Advance Rental – 50% of the annual advance rental and bi-monthly rental as applicable to a private subscriber. This facility is available in Non-OYT (S) category only.
Concession in BSNL Broadband Charges
This circular provides 20 percent concession in BSNL broadband service charges (usage and rental) to visually impaired customers.