: national institute of open schooling
National Institute of Open Schooling (N.I.O.S.)
The National Institute of Open Schooling (N.I.O.S.), formerly known as National Open School (N.O.S.), is a National Board for Secondary and Senior Secondary Examinations similar to the Central Board of Secondary Education (C.B.S.E.) and the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (C.I.S.C.E.).
The National Institute of Open Schooling has an innovative evaluation system:
• Freedom to answer the question in public examinations in any one of the scheduled regional languages, although the question papers supplied would generally be in English and Hindi/available in regional medium only.
• Hall tickets have scanned photograph of the learners.
• Information about examination centres and results are made available online.
• Candidates are allowed to appear in one, two or more subjects and credits are accumulated till the certification criteria are fulfilled.
• A candidate can avail as many as nine chances to appear in public examinations.
• N.I.O.S. offers its courses mainly in English, Hindi and Urdu mediums. One can choose any medium of instruction. At the secondary level, courses are also available in Telugu, Gujarati, Marathi and Malayalam.
2. Programmes and courses offered by N.I.O.S.
N.I.O.S. offers the following courses:
• Open Basic Education: The programme provides elementary education at three levels - for school drop-outs, eo-literates and out-of-school learners through accredited agencies.
• Secondary Course: equivalent to Class X
• Senior Secondary Course: equivalent to class XII
• Vocational Education: In order to make the N.I.O.S. courses more meaningful, vocational courses are offered independently or in combination with academic subject at the secondary and senior secondary levels.
For more information, please
visit the n.i.o.s. site
Admission to N.I.O.S. is through accredited institutions commonly known as Study Centers once a year from July to September. To locate the study centre in your area for the required course, please
For the education of disadvantaged children, admission is made through Special Accredited Institutions for Education of the disadvantaged called SAIEDs once a year from July to September. The N.I.O.S. conducts examinations twice a year during March- May and September-November.
Age limits for admission
There is no upper age limit. However, the minimum age for enrolment to secondary course is 15 years and to senior secondary course is 16 years (completed on or before 31st December of the year of admission / registration.)
Validity of Admission: The admission is valid for five years. For public examination at secondary and senior secondary level, one may take nine or fewer chances to successfully complete the course during this period.
For more information, please
visit the n.i.o.s. site.
Requirements for secondary and senior secondary courses
For Secondary Course
Minimum age:15 years (born on, or before, 31st December)
Proof of age: Attested copy of birth certificate from the admission register of the last school attended (school leaving certificate / transfer certificate);or birth certificate from register of births and deaths; or from a recognised hospital; or an affidavit from parents countersigned by first class /sub divisional magistrate. (affidavits countersigned by Notary Public, etc, will not be accepted and the admission will be rejected).
Minimum education: Qualification certificate of Class VIII passed , or self certificate (as mentioned at the back of the admission form).
Supporting documents: Transfer certificate from a formal school or self certificate (as mentioned at the back of the application form for admission) **
Photographs: Three recent photographs of passport size, one of them needs to be attested ) for details see instructions for filling up the admission form as per given along with admission form.
For Senior Secondary Course
Minimum age: 16 years (born on, or before, 31st December)
Proof of age: Attested copy of the certificate of matriculation /secondary examination having a record of the date of birth.
Minimum education: Attested copy of the certificate of the Secondary Examination passed from a recognised Board of Secondary Education.
Supporting documents: Attested copy of the certificate of matriculation /secondary/high school examination from a recognised Board of Secondary Education.
Photographs: Three recent photographs of passport size; one of them needs to be attested ) for details see instructions for filling up the admission forn as per given along with admission form.
Note: (i) Date of birth once given in the admission form will not be changed. Please check and state the correct date of birth. (ii) Applications received without supporting documents will be rejected and fee will not be refunded. (iii) The hospital should assess the age of the learner taking admission in N.I.O.S. The learner who possesses a High School/ Secondary School Certificate From any foreign Board /University on seeking admission to N.I.O.S. Senior Secondary course will be required to attach a certificate from the competent authority to the effect that the examination passed by him/her is equivalent to the Indian High School/Secondary School Examination.
** For differently-able persons, as a supporting document, a medical certificate from a government hospital and not from a private nursing home clearly indicating nature and extend of disability is required.
How to contact N.I.O.S.
Mr. M.C. Pant (Chairman) / Dr. Sushmita Mitra, Director (Academic)
The National Institute of Open Schooling (N.I.O.S.)
B-31B, Kailash Colony
Phone: +91-11- 26211457-59, 26281180-85
For regional offices, please
For State Open School, please
Institutions for disadvantaged children affiliated to N.I.O.S.
To cater to the needs of people with physical and mental disabilities, the socially and geographically isolated, and disadvantaged sections such as street children, working children, rural women and SC and ST, the N.I.O.S. has accredited institutions called Special Accredited Institutions for Education of the Disadvantaged (SAIED).
A list of SAIEDs for the visually impaired is provided below:
National Association for the Blind, Delhi
Ms. Bindiya Banerjee
Coordinator-N.I.O.S. between 9.00 am to 2.00 pm (IST)
Sector V, R.K.Puram, New Delhi 110022
Phone: +91-11-26102944, 26176379, 26175886
Faith India Bhawan
(Vocations offered: word processing, food processing, cutting and yailoring, dress making, secretarial practice)
Kerala Foundation for the Blind
(Vocations offered: word processing, typewriting, stenography, secretarial
Light Engineering Training Cum-Production Centre
(Vocations offered: electrical appliances, motor and transformer repairing,
radio and tape repairing, T.V. repairing, carpentry, plumbing)
National Institute of Visually Handicapped
116, Rajpur Road,
Note: There are institutions catering to other disabilities as well. For more information on this, please contact N.I.O.S. directly.
• Frequently Asked Questions.
• List of Universities/Institutions which have recognised the National Institute of Open Schooling Examination
• List of Boards which have recognised the National Institute of Open Schooling Examinations.