Rio+20 Outcome Document includes disability
We are pleased to share the good news that disability has been included in the Rio+20 Outcome Document.
The Rio +20 Outcome Document, "The future we want", has five specific references to disability, namely:
1. responsibilities of States to respect, protect and promote human rights and fundamental freedom for all (paragraph 9);
2. participation and access to information and judicial and administrative proceedings for promotion of sustainable development (paragraph 43);
3. affirming that green economy policies in the context of sustainable development and poverty eradication should ...enhance the welfare of persons with disabilities (paragraph 58(k));
4. commit to promote an integrated approach to planning and building sustainable cities and urban settlements, and commit to promote sustainable development policies that support inclusive housing and social services; a safe and healthy living environment for all, particularly, disabled persons (paragraph 135)
5. and finally, stress the need for ensuring equal access to education for persons with disabilities (paragraph 229).