Speak! is an app designed to aid the visually impaired and others that require reading assistance.
The app takes advantage of state-of-the-art artificial intelligence technology. It will read any text captured by the camera. It can be used to read anything from street signs to newspapers. The app has been specifically designed to detect text in "bad photos", for instance when the text is rotated or far away. In addition it knows to detect relevant text only, for example when photographing a page in a book, text captured on the adjacent page will be ignored.
Simply point your phone at any image and tap anywhere on the screen to start text detection. The app will detect the significant text, zoom on it and read it out loud.
Supports any Latin based language: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, German, Dutch, Danish, Turkish, Swedish, Finnish, Hungarian, Romanian, Czech, Slovak, Vietnamese.
Make sure the requested languages are enabled in Android's Text-to-Speech settings.
* Automatically detects the relevant text in the image.
* Automatically straightens the text and zooms on it.
* Automatically detects the text's language (does not support mixed languages).
* Supports very small text and far away text.
* Images can be sent for detection from any other app by the share function.
* Detected text is automatically copied to the clipboard (can later be pasted).
* Detected text can be viewed and edited upon detection.
* Special user interface when running with TalkBack accessibility mode.
* In TalkBack accessibility mode all controls are buttons
* In normal operation mode:
- Capture screen:
Tap on screen - capture image
Long press on screen - lock / unlock camera orientation
- Detection and Speak screens:
Swipe left or right - return to Capture screen