Third Thursday of May is commemorated as Global Accessibility Awareness Day and entire week is marked for accessibility for persons with disabilities. Savitribai Phule Pune University is commemorating the day to sensitize its all the stakeholders about creation of accessible environment for persons with disabilities.
This year the day is on 16th may 2019 and week is starting from 13th may to 18 may.
The University is organizing 2 hours workshop on Inclusive education and academic Accessibility along with short exhibition. Centre for Inclusive Education and Accessibility At Department of Education and Extension is taking the initiative.
• When: 15th may 2019
• Time: 2 pm to 5 pm
• Where: Sant Namdev auditorium, Kher Arts Building, SPPU.
• Who can participate?
Faculties and social scientists, academic administraters, Policy makers, Trusties of academic institutions, Principals, Head of institutions, IQAC directors, Librarians, AR, DR, Estate managers, IT managers, research fellows, disability coordinators, students with disabilities etc
The workshop will cover:
inclusive education Concepts, types of disabilities and specific assistive technologies required for them, Demonstration of assistive technologies, Challenges of persons with disabilities in academic inclusion, role of stakeholders in creation of barrier free academics, accessible academic web services, Accessible built infrastructure, Accessible Course content, accessible teaching and course delivery mechanism, Accessible Admition and enrolment, Reservation policies for persons with disabilities, Disability support services activities at the campus, students counseling, Placement for persons with disabilities, cases discussion, Inclusive Education and accessibility Research etc.
• 02.00 pm to 03.00 pm registrationand exhibition (Registration is free)
• Welcome speech by Prof. Sanjeev Sonawane, Head, Department of
Education and Extension, SPPU: 5 to 7 minutes.
• Inaugural Speech by Prof. Nitin Karmalkar Hon Vice Chancellor,
SPPU: 8 to 10 minutes.
• Talk on “Inclusive Education and Academic Accessibility by Mr.
Dhananjay Bhole,Accessibility evangelist and Academic Coordinator, Centre for Inclusive Education and Accessibility, SPPU: 1 hour
• Questions and Answers: 30 minutes
• Valedictory speech by Prof. Praful Pawar, Registrar, SPPU: 7 to 8 minutes.
• Vote of thanks byProf. Sanjeev Sonawane : 2 to 3 minutes.
• High tea: 5 pm onwards.
Why to participate:
• People with disabilities in India are often left out of mainstream
education because of unawareness amongst educational institutions and academician, limited infrastructural resources and lack of training in this regard. It is believed that barely two per cent of the 70 million persons with disabilities have access to education in India. Hence the need of accessible academic environment.
• As per the section 16 and section 17 of Rights of persons with
disabilities Act 2016 and Article 21 of United nations Conventions on Rights of Persons with Disabilities it has been mandatory to provide accessible environment to the students, researchers, faculties, staffs and visitors with disabilities.
• As per the law, All the academic built infrastructure, Web services,
Course content and library services, Course delivery mechanism should be made accessible in next 2 years.
• UGC has made mandatory to all the academic institutes to provide
appropriate assistive technologies, accessible course content and accessible environment to the persons with disabilities.
• This 2 hours talk and exhibition will provide quick insite of
accessibility compliance in academics to the participants.
It is our request to all the stakeholders of the Academics to draw some time from your busy schedule and participate in this short workshop to make our higher education system accessible and inclusive for all kinds of persons with disabilities and mark Global Accessibility Awareness Day.
Those residing in Pune Region or Pune university jurisdiction can Participate.
LinkedIn profile: https://in.linkedin.com/in/dhananjay-bhole